One of the most important aspects of our service as well as the obvious one, removing the wrong fuel from the fuel tank, is customer care. It might not be something that you would normally associate with an auto mechanical industry and everyone seems to have a story about having to deal with a rude, obstinate, dodgy or generally curmudgeonly mechanic at some point when something has gone wrong with their motor. Our sector of the auto industry is different in that, often, the customer is in a highly stressful situation. Let’s look at the stress factors at play here according to what goes through some affected motorists’ minds:
- I’ve put the wrong fuel in my car, is the engine now ruined?
- Is the repair going to cost me a fortune?
- I don’t have time for this, I’m going to be late for work/my appointment/getting the kids to school
- I don’t know who to trust to help solve the problem
- My car has broken down on the road and I’m causing a dangerous obstruction to other road users
- I can’t start or move my car and I’m blocking other motorists’ access to the pump on a busy forecourt
- Someone is expecting me to turn up somewhere and I can’t let them know what’s happened
- This is not my vehicle, am I going to be in big trouble with the owner here?
Time is very precious these days and even if nothing else on the above list is relevant, no-one likes waiting around unnecessarily and unexpectedly. Many motorists are affected by more than one of the above factors after putting in the wrong fuel and we are always receiving calls from stressed or distressed motorists. Knowing how best to assist a stressed customer is an important skill, here’s how we approach such situations:
- Offer reassurance – In the vast majority of wrong fuel cases, even if the vehicle engine has been started, a fuel drain and fuel system flush will solve the problem and return the car to it’s previous working state
- Don’t make false promises – We won’t tell our customers that “We’ll be there in five minutes” just to get their business if the traffic is heavy, they’re in an out of the way place or all our engineers are busy. We’ll be realistic and give a proper estimate of our arrival time to avoid building on the existing stress level.
- Ask basic questions – We won’t bombard a stressed customer with technical questions about their vehicle. It’s our job to know the technical stuff about removing the wrong fuel from a vehicle. We just need to know your vehicle colour, make and model and roughly where you are. We even have a “Find Me” feature on our website to enable customers with a smartphone and internet access to pinpoint their location if they’re in an unfamiliar area.
- Prioritise jobs where the motorist may be vulnerable – If you’re a lone female in an unfamiliar place at night, an elderly motorist or you’re in a precarious position where your vehicle is causing danger to you or other motorists then we will prioritise your case and get the nearest engineer to you as fast as possible. Depending upon the severity of the danger, we may need to inform the local police. All of this is taken care of by our experts as we know these situations inside out and are well aware of what can happen.
- Treat customers with respect – The last thing you need is a miserable, ignorant individual turning up to begrudgingly offer you a half-hearted service. Our engineers are courteous, kind, respectful and polite. They are smartly uniformed and will treat customers as they would expect to be treated themselves. Our engineers will go above and beyond the basic call of duty because that’s the philosophy of the type of people we have working for us.
- Inform customers of the service cost before committing to a job – Everyone knows where they stand if we’re up front about our costs. We will not ask for payment before the job is completed and there are no hidden, unexpected costs added on to catch anyone out.
Caring for our customers leads to wrong fuel situations being solved quickly, calmly and safely. It also means that our workforce are happier, more committed and more professional. It also means that we receive a lot of very encouraging and very positive feedback which is extremely good for our business. That’s what every customer can expect from the Wrong Fuel Emergency team and it’s a philosophy that means our business is growing year on year.